[mosquitto-dev] Basic configuration issue with multiple listeners

Hi

I have a rather basic mosquitto configuration issue that I am going round in circles with... I clearly have some fundamental misunderstanding  that I would grateful if someone could sort out.

For the time being I am ignoring encryption - that's for later. So everything on port 1883 for now.

I can get mosquitto to work fine with a single (default) listener. So "port 1883" + "bind_interface localhost" = no problem. Testing with mosquitto_sub/pub allows me to exchange messages perfectly. Alternatively, just omitting all port/bind_interface/listener directives works, presumably due to the default listener starting.

But anything involving "listener" seems to give me a "Connection refused" error with mosquitto_sub . So omitting "bind_interface" but adding "listener 1883" or "listener 1883 localhost" with or without "port 1883" gives me the same "Connection refused " error. I can see from the log that I am also getting an error on daemon startup saying "Error: Address already in use".

What fundamental thing am I missing? I ask because eventually I want to create two listeners, one bound to localhost and a second to a network card with a static IP address out to a wireless access point, and then ignore MQTT traffic on the main, public internet-connected network. I then want to add encryption to (at least) the wireless connection. But since I am stumbling on two unencrypted connections...

On Linux Mint 19.

Peter

Back to the top