[mosquitto-dev] Flow Control / Flow Limiting

I came across the following situations:

a) Client overflows Server
client stored a large number of messages while off-line from the network.
When reconnecting to mosquitto, it transmits the messages with qos > 0.
Because mosquitto was configured with max_inflight_message 20 (default), a lot of messages were ignored.
The client repeated the messages b/c no PUBACK was received.
The whole situation lasted for quite a while until all messages were eventually transmitted and acknowledged.

b) Server overflows Client
A client subscribes to a topic which receives a few hundred messages per hour with qos > 0 and cleansession = NO.
The client goes off-line for a while.
When the client reconnects to mosquitto, mosquitto publishes those hundreds of messages to the client.
The client cannot PUBACK to all of the messages in a timely manner.
This causes the majority of the messages to be retransmitted after retry_interval 20 (default) seconds.

Depending on the number of queued messages, the message size and the available band-with both situation lead to:
- unneccessary multiple transmissions
a waste of possible expensive band-with (mobile data plans)
- possibly memory overflows
- connection aborts

On the mosquitto side, raising the parameter settings for max_inflight_messages and max_queued_messages may avoid such
situations. As long as the available bandwith is big enough ignoring messages is a valid approach.

On mobile clients with limited bandwidth, a flow control or flow limiting approach seems appropriate to me.
The MQTT standard does not address this topic. As far as I know mosquitto does not implement such functionality.

In the client library, I implemented a window size (n) for outgoing PUBLISH messages.
When qos > 0, only n messages are sent before the corresponding acknowledge is received (PUBACK or PUBREC/PUBREL/PUBCOMP)
Any thoughts or plans?

Cheers
   Christoph