Re: [microprofile-wg] [DISCUSSION] Sponsoring Community Day for Java Developers at EclipseCon

+1 (Payara)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2023 at 22:02, Reza Rahman <reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi folks,

This email is to start a discussion on sponsoring Community Day for Java
Developers at EclipseCon 2023 for $3K. It is the precursor to hopefully
a very short proposal approval vote.

As you may be aware, we have been trying to leverage Community Day for
the past few years to try to advance MicroProfile and Jakarta EE
messaging. If you are unaware, this should provide more context:
https://microprofile.io/2022/12/16/jakarta-ee-and-microprofile-at-eclipsecon-community-day-2022/.
This year, the objective is to take things to the next level by more
carefully organizing and promoting the event under hopefully the more
compelling moniker "Community Day for Java Developers" and also adding
Java SE/JDK related content via the Adoptium working group. Both the
Jakarta EE and Adoptium working groups are key sponsors already and iJUG
is the key organizer. The meta objective here is to create an event in
Europe that serves as a catalyst for promoting Adoptium, Jakarta EE and
MicroProfile - where there is a certain level of control over content
and messaging. This will be a make or break year that can serve as the
basic template for this longer term plan.

I believe this is something very important for the MicroProfile working
group to support via a $3K sponsorship with an outlook congruent to a
long term investment. As a result, the effort will be positioned as
something that is supported jointly by the Adoptium, Jakarta EE and
MicroProfile working groups. There is some level of agreement between
Microsoft, IBM, Payara and Tomitribe on this proposal (though all
members should clearly speak for themselves here). There is some context
in the marketing meeting minutes:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/12Fqp_N4HYjEXs-jbdkGTPDJceHu0GKJMkUD5kd6nJvc/edit?usp=sharing.
The Jakarta EE and Adoptium working groups very warmly welcome help and
contribution from the MicroProfile working group towards this effort.

Can folks kindly share their thoughts on putting this to vote for
approval? A simple +1 suffices and is nonetheless helpful for folks
short on time. I am hoping to start the vote later this week. This is
somewhat time sensitive as Community Day for Java Developers is already
moving forward. Please help?

Thanks,

Reza

P.S.: As a matter of fine print, the Jakarta EE and Adoptium working
groups are putting in a lot more than $3K (about three times more in
fact). This will have no bearing in positioning the event as a joint
effort between the Adoptium, Jakarta EE and MicroProfile working groups.
I think it's obvious this works significantly in favor of this working
group. It's a very good value proposition.