If I’ve understood the proposal:

 - do you see this as a breaking change?
 - will MP 7.0 implementations that are based on EE 10 be able to implement 7.1 and claim certification?

On May 19, 2023, at 4:52 PM, reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

As I mentioned, these are not big issues if MicroProfile keeps track of what is going on with Jakarta EE (or Java SE for that matter) and plans a reasonably timely release adopting the newer version. Now if the lag is years, an implementation is only paying attention to one technology and not the other, etc, there is possibly a bigger issue. I don’t think these are serious problems for most implementations and certainly not something like Open Liberty.

To reiterate what I had put into the doc, if EE 11 is in fact backwards compatible with EE 10, there’s no practical problem with running the TCKs against MicroProfile 7 for the time being, tell it’s customers that’s what it did, and then work toward properly certifying against 7.1, knowing that’s it’s only a few months of “awkwardness” at most (provided the implementation in question has been keeping up within reason with MicroProfile too).

If EE 11 is not compatible with EE 10, the implementation has a tougher choice to make. It will have to forego MicroProfile 7 certification and just work towards certifying against 8 (it can’t be called 7.1 since it’s not going to be backward compatible either but really the timing is still mostly the same as “7.1”) - again with probably not more than a few months of additional lag as to when certification is possible (again assuming that the implementation in question has been keeping reasonably up to date with MicroProfile too).

To be honest, another reason I am not overly concerned is that it does not feel like either Jakarta EE or MicroProfile has a tremendous amount of changes going on - certainly in the Jakarta EE Core Profile and perhaps not in MicroProfile either.

From: microprofile-wg <microprofile-wg-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of David Blevins <dblevins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2023 7:07 PM
To: Microprofile WG discussions <microprofile-wg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [microprofile-wg] [DISCUSS] MicroProfile 7.0 Ballot verbiage straw poll

> On May 19, 2023, at 3:28 PM, reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> It’s definitely correct that we don’t agree on the problem.

Is it possible we can talk about the problem statement in the document?

The issue that’s outlined is that if we continue to do things the way we’ve been, an implementation that wants to be present at the day have the Jakarta EE 11 vote will:

- not be able to obtain MicroProfile 7 certification as it will require 10 and will not allow 11
- not know what the MicroProfile 8 requirements will be in enough time to know what to implement
- An MP 71 would not be possible as a change from EE 10 to 11 is a breaking change which we don’t allow in minor versions

Scenarios where implementations that come out after all releases are out don’t have the issue, so we don’t need to mention them.

Do you have thoughts about this problem?

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins