[mdt-uml2tools.dev] Extending UML2Tools to generate customized layout for class diagram

Hi,

I'm currently running a mini student's project with the objective to create a plugin that takes in an XMI file (or .uml) and generate a GMF file (or .umlclass) for a class diagram with a custom layout for the placement of the classes. The idea is to use different layouting algorithm to place the classes according to user input (e.g.: put some stereotype on the left and others on the right, etc).

The idea is inspired by the feature of "Initialize Class Diagram" context menu in UML2Tools which can generate some layout which was not good enough for some of our use and the plan is to base the project on the current UML2Tools and keep the project open source or even donate it into UML2Tools if it's useful.

We're still on the explaratory mode to study the feasilibity of our approach. After checking out the latest source code from CVS and trying to build the project, we realize that the code is much more complicated than what we have anticipated, and at the moment we are unable to assess whether our idea is even feasible or not. We are pretty new to Eclipse

My questions are these:
- Do you think it is feasible to extend UML2Tools to implement this little enhancement? The current idea is to use strategy pattern on the current layouting algorithm and provide a new layout handler which can be customized to our needs.
- Are there any design docs/architectural docs that explains how UML2Tools is organized and can be extended for this purpose? - any pointers on the build process would be useful as well

Best Regards,
Hans

Back to the top