Re: [mdt-papyrus.dev] Toolsmith

Hi Sébastien,

I have provided my answers inline below.

I firmly believe that we need to move that way. How do we accomplish this?
</cr>

About the naming, we informally agree on having a long name and a short name. The short name should follow this rule (based on EBNF notation):
·       <Papyrus Product Short Name> = Eclipse Papyrus - <short name postfix>
<cr>
You are correct, this was informally agreed and we need to formalize it.
</cr>
ð  Here we should decide if we want restrict the postfix to be an acronym of 2, 3 or more letters? Or be something free including any name?
<cr>
I do think that we need a limit, else it may no longer be a short name. The short name is there for convenience so that it is easier to type or to use, for example, in the naming of project/product-specific repositories. I’m proposed 2-5 as being the range as there is no point in having a 1 letter string for the short name and 5 is the largest short name in our current product line. I am open to discussions as to what the upper limit should be.
</cr>

·       <Papyrus Product Long Name> = Eclipse Papyrus for <long name postfix>
ð  Questions: do we really want “for” to be mandatary?
<cr>
The “for” indicates and reinforces a purpose for the product. This indicates that this is not a general or generic tool. If you remember the products in the Papyrus IC Product Management Committee  wiki page, we use the form “Papyrus <<name>> to indicate more cross-cutting components (i.e, “Papyrus Platform”, “Papyrus Core”, and “Papyrus Collaborative Modeling”. This helps differentiate the Papyrus base and its components from the products in the product line. This is also why, in the part of my answer for the name, I used “Papyrus SDK” it is it to be an “Additional Component”.
So using the “for” also helps differentiate products from the base and its components.
</cr>
Should <long name postfix> be the expansion of the acronym? That mean that <short name postfix> should be an acronym. Other?
<cr>
There should definitely be a relationship between the two, whether is an acronym, an abbreviation, or just visual similarities in the letters used. It is mainly important that the some recognizable link exists between the <long name postfix> and the <short name postfix> be present and that the latter be recognizable as indicative of the purpose/function of the product (which should be self-evident in the former).
</cr>
Séb.

<image001.png>

Sébastien Gérard
Head of the LISE labs
CEA Research Director
Papyrus project Leader (www.eclipse.org/papyrus)
<image002.jpg>
Commissariat à l’énergie atomique et aux énergies alternatives
Institut List | CEA Saclay Nano-INNOV | Bât. 862- PC174
F-91191 Gif-sur-Yvette Cedex
M. +33 6 88 20 00 47
T. +33 1 69 08 58 24

  <image004.png>  <image005.jpg>