From: mdt-ocl.dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:mdt-ocl.dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ed Willink
Sent: Friday, April 16, 2010 10:49 PM
To: MDT OCL mailing list
Subject: [mdt-ocl.dev] Xtext OCL editors progress

Hi

I think that the CompleteOCL and OCLinEcore editors are now useful and
probably won't let users down badly. I've used them extensively without
crashes. The CompleteOCL editor has found at least 100 bugs in the OCL
2.1 spec after cutting and pasting sections of the OCL spec; and that's just
with syntactic checking. Semantic checking soon. There are some background
NPEs and console noise to sort out, seemingly in the scope resolution area
that I must look at to support semantics properly.

The OCLinEcore now uses an OMG specification-style encapsulation for its
OCL, rather than Emfatic which is philosophically inconsistent: "ordered
type[*] name" rather than "name : type[*] {ordered}", and even heavier with
@annotation prefixes. You can 'successfully' Open With->OCLinEcore Editor on
Ecore.ecore or OCL.ecore, and if you want there is currently a Save As
OCLinEcore on the top level DocumentCS outline context menu. Otherwise OCLinEcore saves back where it loaded from in XMI or text as
appropriate. The auto-pretty-printed Ecore.oclinecore attached to show the
principle. [Now is a good time to revise the syntax.]

The ANTLr grammars are huge, 3.4MB for one Java file, and three rules blew
their 65536 character limit when all non-reserved words were declared. I
hope this problem will go away when semantics are correctly exploited.

With a little over 2 weeks to go to M7, it seems better to incorporate the
examples editors into the build now so that build ripples are resolved well
before M7. The fixes to support semantic assistance should not impact on the
build.

Any objections to extending the build?

     Regards

         Ed Willink