[m2e-users] Maven -> Update Project triggers deploy goal

I recently changed my build (project located here: https://github.com/IBM/platform-services-java-sdk) to start using an alternate deploy plugin (bintray-maven-plugin) so that
I can more easily deploy my artifacts to a Bintray repository.   I have my automated Travis builds set up to build the "deploy" goal only for a tagged-release build.   This is working fine.

The issue is that within my local Eclipse environment whenever I trigger the "Maven -> Update Project" action to refresh dependencies, I'm seeing deploy-related errors in the "Problems" window and red X's appear on my project names in the "Package Explorer" window.
I don't really want to trigger the "deploy" goal in my local environment because I'm not interested in deploying snapshot artifacts and I also don't have the necessary creds setup in my local environment.

Why is the m2e plugin seemingly triggering the "deploy" goal?   I've tried to look for a way to configure the goal that is invoked by "Update Project" but there doesn't appear to be one.
This error didn't occur when I was using the "maven-deploy-plugin", so I'm wondering if there's some weird interaction between the m2e plugin and the bintray-maven-plugin.

Anyone have an idea as to how to avoid these errors in my local Eclipse environment?

Thanks in advance for any help!

--
Phil Adams
Georgetown, TX