Also keep in mind that this proposed change will happen in September at
the earliest, but I am totally fine waiting until Luna as long as m2e
master is on java7. Many users will have moved to java7 by then, and
those who don't or can't, will probably stick with an older version of
m2e anyways and won't be affected by the change.

--
Regards,
Igor

On 2013-05-30 4:55 AM, Max Rydahl Andersen wrote:
Hey Igor,

I completely understand the reasoning for moving, but I hate to be the one
break the news but users are not by far having adopting Java 7 as their preferred
runtime.

I've kept eye on this for the last ~2+ years via the JBoss Tools usage collection and
even though Java 7 is definitely rising it is moving much slower than I think most
developers think.

The current stats from JBoss Tools last few days usage collection shows the following:

1.8.0	55	0.16%
#N/A	177	0.52%
1.5.0	363	1.06%
1.7.0	14116	41.08%
1.6.0	19648	57.18%
Grand Total	34359

Thus Java 6 is still the most dominant Java used to *run* eclipse with (at least in JBoss Tools land :)

Note, a few months ago Java 7 was just a 20% so it is growing - but I don't expect Java 7 to be *really* dominant (>80% as Java 6 was for the last 2+ years) before next year.

Thats the time where one could consider moving things like Eclipse IDE and m2e to start requiring Java 7 for core technologies like m2e.

Take this is as a friendly data-backed Please Don't exclude 50% of our users from being able to use Maven!

/max