Re: [m2e-dev] Stop bumping all bundle versions without change?

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 5:36 PM Fred Bricon <fbricon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You mean stop setting version boundaries in the MANIFEST.MFs, likeĀ
org.eclipse.m2e.core;bundle-version="[1.15.0,1.16.0)"?

Yes, among others. Having a minimal version is OK, but bumping the minimal version when there is no API or feature change that make it necessary cause annoyance to set up the environment and compose applications.
Also, I mean using reproducible build qualifiers as explained in https://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/Reproducible_Version_Qualifiers#What_does_this_actually_do.3F and ensuing no regression happens using the compare-version-with-baselines mojo; like Eclipse Platform and others are doing successfully,

I'm not an OSGi expert so I'm +0 on it, but I'd rather like to hear Igor's argument on this historical practice

I imagine that bumping all versions and requirements is actually the safest approach and the cheapest one to implement and m2e went for this pragmatic choice when it wasn't a priority, but with time, it scales less and less.

Back to the top