From: "Hohwiller, Jörg" <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: m2e-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Date: 01/13/2020 09:10
Subject: Re: [m2e-dev] eclipse-settings-maven-plugin future ?
Sent by: m2e-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Hi there,

Am 12.01.20 um 23:22 schrieb Mickael Istria:

 > On Fri, Jan 10, 2020 at 6:38 PM Hohwiller, Jörg <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 > <mailto:joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
 >
 >     E.g. if you want your project to
 >     use checkstyle, it would be nice if checkstyle would be activated by
 >     m2e
 >     automatically when the project is imported.
 >

 > What do you mean by "activated"?

I mean that in the project config the option "checkstyle activate for
this project" should be checked. See attached screenshot.

 > Do you mean executed?
Nope.

 > If so, that's
 > totally doable if the Maven plugin uses the right APIs and declare
 > capability to work as part of incremental build (
> https://www.eclipse.org/m2e/documentation/m2e-making-maven-plugins-compat.html
 > ), it can be configured to be executed during build:
 > https://www.eclipse.org/m2e/documentation/m2e-execution-not-covered.html

 > However, if you expect m2e to configure the Eclipse checkstyle plugin
 > magically,

I do not expect magic. I want a configuration option for maven users via
their POM. This is what maven-eclipse-plugin solved perfectly and made
users very happy. Did m2e developers look into the details of this
plugin? Did you never use m2e for a large project where you want to have
some project specific options configured for other Eclipse plugins?
Checkstyle is just a very good example since it is so obvious and you
have to ask yourself why every user of a project has to manually check
the activation of Checkstyle for each module of your project.

 > then it's simply not doable as m2e cannot know of all Maven
 > plugins so it cannot be the component responsible for specific
 > integrations of Maven plugins (beyond orchestrating its execution as
 > described above).

I do not expect m2e to know any black-magic or lists of maven plugins.
As Simon Bernard and tons of other users already requested since the
last decade m2e could offer a simple config option to configure specific
options that would be written to Eclipse project config (natures,
features, additional config files files).
See [1] for details.

 > Either the Eclipse Checkstyle plugins needs to take
 > care of reading the Maven configuration, or a M2E connector plugin needs
 > to be written for Checkstyle, to instruct m2e how to process CheckStyle
 > settings in the IDE.

I got the same answer when I asked m2e project years ago.
Do m2e developers not want to see the need of their users?
I hate committing tool config files to version-control and end up in
merge conflicts or other disaster but indeed comitting .checkstyle files
to git was so far my workaround.

Maybe also the suggestion to use maven-resource-plugin might be an option.
But things that maven-eclipse-plugin provided that "merged" specific XML
into existing eclipse files would be very hard to do.

Most probably I should solve the problem in devonfw-ide as suggested if
m2e is unwilling to support this...

Cheers
   Jörg

[1]