Re: [m2e-dev] eclipse-settings-maven-plugin future ?

I do not expect magic. I want a configuration option for maven users via
their POM. This is what maven-eclipse-plugin solved perfectly and made
users very happy.

So this Maven plugin had hardcoded the "magic" that turns checkstyle enablement in pom.xml into the right value for an Eclipse preferences.

Nope. It is not the maven-eclipse-plugin that "hardcodes" any magic. It just offers configuration options to write files into the project directory filling in some variables, etc.

The maven user "hardcodes" (what is typically called configures) the checkstyle enablement by adding this strange CDATA section into his plugin configuration section.

The maven-eclipse-plugin resolves the content and writes it to the specified file.

It's basically what most m2e connectors are doing; and if this plugin were properly using the Maven BuildContext API as described in https://www.eclipse.org/m2e/documentation/m2e-making-maven-plugins-compat.html to notify if changed the .prefs files, then

I do not expect m2e to know any black-magic or lists of maven plugins.

So how m2e would even know 1. what to read in pom.xml in order to 2. change which Eclipse/Checkstyle setting?

If you want to keep it generic then as stated above. The user configures which file should get which content. The documentation can guide the user to fill in the proper Eclipse magic to archive what is desired.

An alternative would be a more structured approach that would however require that m2e would know about Eclipse-CS, etc. with the advantage of short and easy config but most probably with the drawback of a more tight coupling.

As Simon Bernard and tons of other users already requested since the
last decade m2e could offer a simple config option to configure specific
options that would be written to Eclipse project config (natures,
features, additional config files files).
See [1] for details.

Again, if this plugin were implemented to run as part of incremental build ( https://www.eclipse.org/m2e/documentation/m2e-making-maven-plugins-compat.html ), it could totally change the Eclipse config files as part of the build and Eclipse would react to those changes.
That is all very cool. But to activate checkstyle for projects that want to have it activated no incremental build is needed.

I got the same answer when I asked m2e project years ago.
Do m2e developers not want to see the need of their users?

The need is totally clear. And the current solution is usage of m2e connectors that cover this need.
If you can make a concrete better proposal of how to translate Maven settings to Eclipse settings, that would be welcome.

I might have a different point of view. I personally do not think that the maven-checkstyle-plugin should be related or the trigger to activate eclipse-cs.

There are even Eclipse plugins that offer project specific settings that have no corresponding maven plugin.

So I would simply expect being able to add a (virtual) plugin entry corresponding to m2e in my pom.xml and use the <configuration> section of that plugin to configure the bells and whistles to configure the project in Eclipse.

Cheers,

Thanks for your time and considering other points of view.

Best regards

  Jörg