[linuxtools-dev] LTTng sub-project re-structure

Hello everyone,

This posting is intended for the LTTng stakeholders.

We plan to properly align to Alex's recommended Linux Tools project structure for the upcoming 1.0 release. We did a half-hearted job at it at the last "ultimatum" :-) mainly because we had many internal branches ongoing, coupled with a tight local release schedule, and it was deemed too risky to go full-blown then.

But, as we are preparing for 1.0, now would be good time to bite the bullet and become fully compliant with the guidelines.

In a nutshell, the various plug-in IDs are already correct but the package and directory structures do not match exactly. The work that has to be done is the following:
- Refactor (rename) the packages org.eclipse.linuxtools.{lttng{,.tests},tmf{,.tests}} to the org.eclipse.linuxtools.{lttng.core{,.tests},tmf.core{,.tests}}
- Do the corresponding "git mv" so the repo directories match the new package names
- Fix the pom.xml:s
- Make sure nothing is broken

All this is fairly trivial but the downsides are that [1] you will likely have to perform a new checkouts to properly refresh your workspace(s), and [2] your local branches might not appreciate. The "git mv":s are causing the main annoyances but we would really like the directory structure to match the package naming.

Note that this applies to the master/HEAD branch only. The existing stable-0.x branches will keep the legacy structure.

Unless, someone has an issue with this, I plan to commit the updated structure this coming Monday. I'm sorry for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

Bug364752 was opened to track this work.

Regards,

--
Francois

Back to the top