Re: [linuxtools-dev] Proposal: Update to Git branching policy

On Mon, 2011-11-14 at 09:29 -0500, Andrew Overholt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Severin Gehwolf <sgehwolf@xxxxxxxxxx> [2011-11-09 10:13]:
> >      2. Name-space maintenance branches with prefix "released/"
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Thanks for proposing this, Severin.  In general I like it.  My only
> concern is the difference between features and tags for releases.  Will
> people be confused by released/{stable-,}0.9 being the maintenance
> branch for 0.9 micro releases?

I'm not sure what you mean by "difference between features and tags for
releases".

The idea of namespacing maintenance branches with "released/" was to
make it more visible that these are branches which have been released.
I.e. a release happened close before/after the branch was created.
Compare this to a model where "master" is the development branch,
"stable-x" are staging branches after a feature-freeze date, then a
release happens and a maintenance branch gets created.

Having said that, keeping "stable-x" branches and tags as they are now
and allowing feature branches of the form
"features/component/my-cool-feature" is fine as well.

Thanks,
Severin