Re: [leshan-dev] Conceptual questions for using LWM2M with NB-IoT

Hi Ralf,

first at all:

I use now Californium, extended by a AT-command driver over USB-serial, together with a CAT-NB modem,  since this year successfully. I use DTLS-CID and for the very most cases, my modem makes it in 4s from PSM deep-sleep into the cloud and back with a response (if the messages stay in the limit of the 330 MTU => 280 payload). I don’t use the communication patterns of LwM2M, so my device sends requests to the coap-cloud-server and get responses back.

In your case, I’m not sure, what you assume as your “traffic pattern”.

1.      Registration

The LwM2M registration interface is something, where your (I guess in your case sleeping) device will report its identity (update registration) in order to exchange its data with the server. Do you expect, that this happens only every couple of months? If you assume, that e.g. your device exchanges data say every day, then my expectation would be, that:

-        You need a dtls handshake

-        You need a registration update

-        Your exchange your data-messages

So for me, save the registration maybe not the big win.

2. Observe

I guess, you search for “queue mode”, but that will be more a question for Simon.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Achim Kraus

Bosch IoT Hub - Product Area IoT Platform (IOC/PAP-HU)
Bosch.IO GmbH | Stuttgarter Straße 130 | 71332 Waiblingen | GERMANY |
www.bosch.io