[kura-dev] Kura to IBM IoT Foundation

Hi all,

as Benjamin recently did some work to get Kura connected to AWS IoT, I thought I'd better do the same for IBM's IoT Foundation :-)

I have got quite far.  Kura is connecting, and I am able to send event messages, but not quite in the format that IoTF is expecting.  An application has to use a client id of the form

a:orgid:app_id

and a provided username/password combination to authenticate.    This I can do by setting the clientid, username and password properties of MqttDataTransport.  So far so good.

Now we are expected to publish JSON formatted events on this topic:

    iot-2/type/$(device_type)/id/$(device_id)/evt/$(event_id)/fmt/$(format_string)

I can set topic.context.account-name to "iot-2".  But I don't want the client id to figure in the topic name.  I can get the application to publish on topic:

    iot-2/type/heater/id/pi-heater/evt/temperatures/fmt/JSON

but only by configuring the client id as "type" which won't allow me to connect to IoTF.  The appTopic I use is:

    "id/pi-heater/evt/temperatures/fmt/JSON"

What about allowing the message topic prefix to be configured in the same way as lwt.topic?  Or any other suggestions?

I haven't got to subscribing yet, but the topics are the same for receiving commands intended for a device:

    iot-2/type/$(device_type)/id/$(device_id)/cmd/$(command_id)/fmt/$(format_string)

where wildcards can be used for the substituted variables.

Thanks

--
Ian Craggs
Paho Project Lead; Committer on Mosquitto

Back to the top