[jta-dev] Migrating repos to https://github.com/jakartaee
In 2019 the Steering Committee we passed a proposal to move the Github repos for specification projects into the https://github.com/jakartaee org in Github.
- Proposal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vQst9k0fOGhUbbw3RoOvi-BvjiSsADH4dyjqTquIwE8/edit?usp=sharing
- Approval: https://jakarta.ee/about/meeting_minutes/steering_committee/minutes-june-11-2019.pdf
- Breakdown: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1uoCebbw2ucpFO389VwTIEd6cqwBXhgE3Cq2fhS6g6ps/edit?usp=sharing
- Prototype: https://github.com/orgs/jakarta-ee
We've delayed this for 2 years as to not impact release dates of Jakarta EE 8, Jakarta EE 9 and Jakarta EE 9.1. Those are out the door and we finally have time to do fun things like refactor TCKs, pay down technical debt and create new features. This is also an item in our 2021 Jakarta EE Program Plan we have not yet executed.
Here's my recommendation on how we should approach the move:
- Set a goal of completing the move in the next six months. It's
very quick to do and Github handles redirects, but six months gives
the project some good flexibility to decide when is the right time.
- Establish a naming convention of using your specification's short
name as the prefix for any and all repos moved. For example, the
project formerly known as JMS is "messaging" and can be found at
It would be ideal if all repos belonging to Messaging, for example,
were available as either the bare word
https://github.com/jakartaee/messaging or with a hyphen
- All repos belonging to the Specification Project are moved, such as
any api, tck, proposal or example repos.
The caveat to the above is that if your specification project has implementation code in its repository this code should be moved to another Github repo that stays in eclipse-ee4j and is transferred to a new or existing non-specification Eclipse project. That is, if that is possible. If it isn't possible to separate the implementation, we'll likely need to move it as-is and just live with the slight imperfection.
To initiate the move, file a ticket in the Community bugzilla using the "Github" component, list the repos to be moved and indicate any repo name changes:
Providing a link to this email in that ticket can also help with context, but is not strictly necessary.