[jstl-dev] Moving TLDDoc Under the JSTL-API Project

Hello JSTL & JSP Devs,

If we plan to update the namespaces of the JSTL TLDs for EE10, then we will need to update the TLDDoc code ( as only the http://java.sun.com namespaces are supported). I’m assuming we still want to generate TLD documentation.  Instead of a separate TLDDoc project to maintain (such as a fork), I was thinking of simply moving it under the JSTL project.

However, moving this TLDDoc project requires a few permissions from the Eclipse Foundation.

The pom.xml for the TLDDoc indicates it’s under the BSD license which isn’t approved by the Eclipse but can be if we make a request.

Another requirement is whether the TLDDoc should be under the JSTL Specification Project or the JSTL implementation project?

Currently, the TLDs reside in the implementation and are packaged under the META-INF directory in the jar.

Unless there are any objections, I plan to move the TLDDoc source code over the JSTL Project as part of the implementation.

As a side note, if anyone knows this, why do the TLDs reside in the implementation jar rather than the api? I reviewed the servlet, JSTL, and JSP specifications but didn’t find any clear answers. Would it make more sense for the TLDs to be under the api?  However, they appear to have always resided in the implementation jars.

Thank you,
Volodymyr

Back to the top