[jifa-dev] Hook support for customisation of JIFA deployment

Thank you for releasing JIFA, it's a really great solution, and I had started working on something similar but your UI is clean and great for MAT users. Excellent work!

For Netflix we have a number of deployment requirements, including securing heapdumps, storage of files in S3, that require some customization.

I have created a hooks layer that can be used to override default behavior of JIFA at specific points in application:
- custom vertx HttpServerOptions
- route customisation
- directory/file mapping customization

I have the diff here with all the customizations we use to have it deployed:
https://gist.github.com/jasonk000/a9b81205a40cf5358a712f3770da854e

With this diff applied, anyone can create a class that "implements JifaHooks" and set worker-config.json and any custom code will be executed:
"hooks.className": "foo.bar.HooksClass"

We use this for:
- custom handling of file system paths (so it is not in the eclipse workspace) and integration to S3
- custom authorization to allow a user to read from a heapdump file
- extra unhandled error logging
- customisation of header options as our auth proxy adds lots of openid headers which exceed vertx defaults

Also, I added a build parameter to Jifa.js
- Setting VUE_APP_JIFA_FILE_MGMT=false will hide the file management features in the UI (release/upload/etc) as we have a separate UI for this

I think this is a simple way to approach the problem & hope for your thoughts!!

Back to the top