Re: [jgit-dev] What do you think are the chances of a --changeid flag?

On Sun, Oct 20, 2013 at 5:33 PM,  <james.moger@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Clearly this is not the native git forum, but there is no doubt a lot of
> cross-pollination. And perhaps this has already been posited/considered
> by JGit team members
>
> What do you think are the chances of the _native_ git team offering a
> --changeid flag for the commit command to generate a change-id and
> replace an inserted "Change-id: I0000..." template value just like
> EGit/JGit can do?  I know this is currently handled by a shell commit
> hook, like the one Gerrit offers, but a hook for this is less than
> ideal, IMO.  JGit definitely has improved on git in this scenario.

git-core might balk, but might surprise you and accept it. :-)

Linux kernel team balked and doesn't like the Change-Id field in their
messages, as it has no "long lasting value and no relationship to a
public database". I proposed using the Message-Id from the LKML email
that kicked off a discussion on a patch, but they also were not in
favor of this idea as it polluted the history visible in git log.
*sigh*

Might be worth raising on git mailing list. I keep getting annoyed in
Gerrit when I downloaded a new plugin repository and then need to add
the hook.

Back to the top