Re: [jgit-dev] using the JGit library to get a list of all the files from a remote repository

You are correct that the Git protocol does not do this.

However you could clone with a depth of 1 which would allow you to iterate through the tree and save downloading the history.

git clone --depth 1 url

I don't think that the JGit API supports a depth restriction.

You could speed it up a little by not doing a checkout afterwards, but that's about it for speeding it up.

A better question might be "why are you trying to get a list of files" ...

Alex

Sent from my iPhone 5