Re: [jgit-dev] JGit slow?

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Duft Markus <Markus.Duft@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hm, actually i don’t even care whether comparison is fair in this case.

I think there are two issues JGit team needs to look at here...

> This
> time i have my user-hat on :D if the answer is “to fix it we need local
> mode” then thats an answer too ;) I just noticed that in the situation i
> have, i’m way faster with native git, so i had to switch.

We are missing the local mode optimization. Doing it the way CGit does
it from Java will be difficult, CGit uses filesystem hardlinks to
efficiently copy object and pack files on the same filesystem. Java
doesn't support these. So we will have to implement the local version
as copying the files, which will be slower than CGit's approach if its
the same filesystem. Unless we build some optional JNI to get us
access to link(2).

> I’d love to get
> rid of that workaround again, so i can avoid exec’ing native from java code
> (i hate it) and instead get back to JGit APIs.

The other issue here is I think JGit is mistuned in most applications,
making it slower to even do a clone of a remote server's repository.

Back to the top