I’m currently doing some performance test with jgit (downloaded today, plain
184.108.40.206209190230-r.sh on command line). It seems that cloning a repository in a RAM disk is orders of magnitudes slower than with native git. The times are as follows (8 sec vs. 4:22 minutes?!?!?):
salxbuild03.salomon.at % time git clone ../wamas5.git/
Cloning into 'wamas5'...
6.477u 1.770s 0:08.37 98.4% 0+0k 0+0io 18pf+0w
salxbuild03.salomon.at % time ./org.eclipse.jgit.pgm-220.127.116.11209190230-r.sh
Initialized empty Git repository in /big22/wamas5/ram/mirror-clones/test/wamas5/.git
remote: Counting objects: 416206
remote: Finding sources: 100% (432466/432466)
remote: Getting sizes: 100% (225459/225459)
remote: Compressing objects: 5% ( 12455/225399)
Receiving objects: 100% (432466/432466)
Resolving deltas: 100% (201343/201343)
Updating references: 100% (4/4)
remote: Counting objects: 432466, done
remote: Total 432466 (delta 197049), reused 419730 (delta 190730)
* [new branch] RECOVER_5_2 -> origin/RECOVER_5_2
* [new branch] Release-5_2 -> origin/Release-5_2
* [new branch] Release-5_2_0 -> origin/Release-5_2_0
* [new branch] master -> origin/master
283.093u 18.666s 4:22.60 114.9% 0+0k 0+0io 1pf+0w
Every single step in the cloning process seems to take a lot of time.
Second thing I noticed: cloning with “../wamas5.git” didn’t work. I got a “fatal: ../wamas5.git/: not found.” I had to pass the absolute path to clone.