Re: [jgit-dev] Grafts/replace design

----- Ursprungligt meddelande -----
> On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 4:08 AM, Robin Rosenberg
> <robin.rosenberg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Add an optional argument (e.g. two methods).

> A big problem is actually any call to peel() and getPeeledObjectId().
> Most of these are relying on the value cached in the packed-refs
> file.
> That cached value needs to be the non-replaced version. Yet many of
> the call sites using getPeeledObjectId() would prefer to work with
> the
> replaced version. Which means the caching has limited value for them.

I think it still makes sense to cache the on-disk data, we just do
different things with it in different contexts, so I think caching
is irrelevant here.

> resolve() should never be used in fsck/gc/transport code. Where it
> can
> be used must be limited to an LHS for a push operation where its
> naming the SHA-1 to send. Within git-core, push does resolve the LHS
> using replace. So if you replace A->B and you do `git push origin
> A:master` you are actually going to send B. So resolve doesn't
> matter.

I can try that, makes sense.

> > Then we have the user-controlled options to disable the rewiring.
> > For
> > the CLI one can have a global flag (shudder), but then these thing
> > will not work within a container like Eclipse.
>
> Obviously we cannot do a global flag. Its a non-starter. I don't even
> know why you suggested it.

We cannot do that, so what do your suggest, besides adding a parameter
to many places.

For "completing" the solution space, and discourage other people from suggesting
it, perhaps a bad thing to do.

I think it makes sense to toggle a switch in the history view to see the raw version
vs the grafted/replaced version of the history.

-- robin

Back to the top