Re: [jgit-dev] creating a new branch fails with LOCK_FAILURE

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:19,  <james.moger@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>I.e do not call setExpectedOldObjectId() at all to create the
>>branch regardless of whether it is new or not.
>
> For my previous question on how to create an orphan branch I had tried
> that approach:
> u.setExpectedOldObjectId(ObjectId.zeroId());
> That seemed logical to me, but it didn't work.
>
> I'm still wondering if there is a way to create an orphan branch with
> the JGit API... that would be very useful.

>From the API package, maybe not.

Creating an orphan branch is about building a commit with no parents,
and then setting some branch to point to that commit. The latter can
be done easily with any RefUpdate command, either create a new branch,
or force update an existing branch to the new commit's ObjectId.

Creating a new commit with no parents probably requires using the
CommitBuilder class directly. The CommitCommand only supports HEAD and
creates a new commit on top of that.

You may be able to relink HEAD to a non-existant branch name, then run
CommitCommand to make an orphan branch.

Back to the top