Re: [jgit-dev] push to S3 uses SSL?

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 4:02 AM, Shawn Pearce <spearce@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sun, Jun 12, 2011 at 09:11, pablo platt <pablo.platt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I've found several blog posts on using jgit to push to a repo on s3.
> Does it use SSL (https) ?

No. It uses plain text HTTP. The code predates Amazon supporting SSL
for S3 and hasn't really been updated since.

Is it possible to add support for SSL?
Sounds like it won't be too hard.
It could be set in the config file with "ssl: true"

> Is it possible that the s3 git repo will get corrupted due to partial
> upload?

No. A partial upload may leave some objects laying around in the
bucket that aren't necessary, but it won't be corrupted.

> It will probably can't happen with "real" git server probably but I wonder
> if the fact that s3 is just an http server make it unsafe.

Nope. The S3 client in JGit does ordered writes in an order that are
safe if interrupted, but might leave some unused objects laying around
if interrupted. These aren't harmful, they just waste space (and thus
cost money...).

Is there a way to check and clean the repository on S3?
Does the S3 repo reflects everything you do locally like packing and adding tags?

What are the limitations of using jgit with S3?
It seems so powerful that I don't understand why I could find only few blog posts about it.

Pablo

--
Shawn.

Back to the top