[jgit-dev] why do we overwrite untracked files?

Hi Shawn,

Do you remember why we don't care in DirCacheCheckout that we don't
overwrite content of untracked files? I am wondering why even in the
git read-tree man page I don't find anything. Do you know why the
table in http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-read-tree.html#_two_tree_merge
for cases 0-3 doesn't take into account whether the working tree is
clean? Isn't it a conflict when for a certain path HEAD and index are
empty but merge contains content A and the working tree contains
content B? At least we can't update the working tree without loosing
unsaved content.

Ciao
  Chris

Back to the top