Re: [jgit-dev] Exceptions in jgit

On 10 Mar 2010, at 15:45, Shawn O. Pearce wrote:

> "Zivkov, Sasa" <sasa.zivkov@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I am trying to figure out what is the approach to usage of exceptions in jgit.
>> Looking at the org.eclipse.jgit.errors package, where the jgit exceptions are defined,
>> I see mainly 3 cases:
>> 1. An exception is subtype of java.io.IOException
>> 2. An exception is subtype of java.lang.Exception
>> 3. An exception is subtype of java.lang.RuntimeException
>>
>> However, I don't see the rule. If I would introduce a new exception I wouldn't
>> know which approach to use.
>
> Heh.  We don't have a good exception system.  Let me explain how
> we got where we are, its about the best rule we have...
>
> I'd like to move to more specific checked exceptions, and stop
> throwing back any old IOException to the application caller.
> But this is a fairly major effort, and I'm just struggling to
> get the sideband protcol change implemented to match Git 1.7.0.2.
> I've basically written it off as something I just can't do.

There's more than just one person on the project, though, right? Do we have an externalised list that isn't in Shawn's head of things-that-you'd-like-to-do-but-don't-have-time? It seems like a fairly boring but sufficiently easy task for the conversion to occur, and makes sense to be done prior to a 1.0 release (but probably after the 0.7 EclipseCon release).

Alex

Back to the top