Re: [jetty-users] State of Loom on Jetty?

Hi,

On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 5:51 PM Jesse Wilson <jesse@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My team runs lots of Jetty instances and I’m eager to learn how they work on Loom. The blog posts from 2021 showed lots of promise! But the loom branch haven’t seen any updates since.
>
> Any advice on running Jetty on Loom? Or perhaps warnings against it?

My current stance is: "Loom? Meh."

We will definitely provide a way to configure Jetty so that
Handlers/Servlets will be invoked in a virtual thread, but the default
will be to invoke them in a native thread, just because we don't know
what applications are doing.
It would be best that applications invoke their own code in a virtual
thread, if their code is a good case for Loom (i.e. it does I/O, not
memory computation).

Not sure what promises you saw in Loom from our blog post, results are
mixed with Loom consuming more CPU and memory for marginal better
latencies.
Given the current trend of cloud instances with half CPU and 640 KiB
of memory (who needs more?), I'm not sure Loom is the right choice,
but YMMV.

Be aware that Loom already proved to be surprising (not in a good
way), see for example section "A cautionary tale" in this blog:
https://blogs.oracle.com/javamagazine/post/going-inside-javas-project-loom-and-virtual-threads

I filed https://github.com/eclipse/jetty.project/issues/8007 to track
this, we will implement it soon and we are definitely interested in
your results.

Thanks!

--
Simone Bordet