[jetty-users] java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Idle timeout expired

I'm using Jetty 9.4.30. Yesterday I saw the following error:

org.eclipse.jetty.io.RuntimeIOException: java.io.IOException: java.util.concurrent.TimeoutException: Idle timeout expired: 30000/30000 ms
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.extractFormParameters(Request.java:573)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.extractContentParameters(Request.java:519)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.getParameters(Request.java:430)
	at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.getParameter(Request.java:1059)
	at servlets.LogProgress.doPost(LogProgress.java:75)
	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:707)

I googled this, and found that this has been reported for users of the Apache fileupload package. Although I am using that package in other servlets elsewhere, this did not happen in a multipart request -- it was a normal post request submitted by a JavaScript XHR at 60 second intervals to track changes to a form.

About 20 other users were doing the same thing at the same time, but it only happened for one of them. It happened once, then there was a 7 minute gap, then four successive requests failed at 60 second intervals, then it worked as normal from then onwards.

I have now rewritten the fileupload code to use getParts() instead, just in case.

Any ideas what might have happened here?
--
John English

Back to the top