Re: [jetty-users] Eclipse RCP - Jetty WebSocket server

The websocket classes are in the Maven group org.eclipse.jetty.websocket.

https://search.maven.org/search?q=g:org.eclipse.jetty.websocket

On Sun, May 24, 2020 at 12:23 PM Johan Van Noten <johan@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

My intent:

I have an existing Eclipse RCP application.

I would like to interact with it from a browser.

My plan:

It seems a reasonable solution to use WebSockets.

The site in the browser uses JS to create a WebSocket client.

The RCP application hosts an embedded Jetty WebSocket Server.

Both can then send and listen on their WebSockets.

My status:

For now, I’m able to host an embedded Jetty Servlet container. Works fine.

My environment:

Eclipse Modeling Tools, 2020-03

Including Jetty 9.4.27

Amazon Corretto JDK 8 and 11 (tried both)

My problem:

I don’t have the packages for WebSocket Server available.

The plugins are not created using Maven.

I don’t see a way to install the required bundles in my Eclipse (and later move them to the RCP’s target platform).

I could download them (with their dependencies) from a central repository, but that feels inappropriate.

My question:

  • I guess my proposed approach using websockets is ok?
    Are there better alternatives?
  • Can anyone point me to an example of an Eclipse RCP with Jetty Embedded Websocket Server?
    I do have code examples, that is not the problem.
    The unavailability of the WebSocket server jars is the issue.

Thanks,

Johan