Re: [jetty-users] Cannot get org.eclipse.jetty.server.Request instance

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 11, 2019 at 4:35 AM John Jiang <john.sha.jiang@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yes, curl tool doesn't support server push yet, even though libcurl supports that.
> But as I mentioned in my last reply, this failure may not be related to server push or HTTP/2.
> That servlet didn't get the instance of org.eclipse.jetty.server.Request.
> It didn't touch org.eclipse.jetty.server.PushBuilder yet.
>
> For clarification, please consider the below simple servlet,
> package test;
>
> import java.io.IOException;
> import javax.servlet.ServletException;
> import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;
> import org.eclipse.jetty.server.Request;
>
> public class TestServlet extends HttpServlet {
>
>     private static final long serialVersionUID = 5222793251610509039L;
>
>     @Override
>     public void doGet(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response)
>             throws ServletException, IOException {
>         if(Request.getBaseRequest(request) == null) {
>             throw new RuntimeException(
>                     "Cannot get org.eclipse.jetty.server.Request instance");
>         }
>     }
> }

Server implementation classes are hidden to web applications per the
Servlet Specification.
You cannot cast HttpServletRequest to a Jetty request IFF you are
deploying your web application to a standalone server.
It would be possible if you use Jetty embedded and no *.war, since
there are no webapp classloaders.

It's wrong to put jetty-server.jar into WEB-INF/lib.
Even if the code above compiles, the Request class will be the one
from the webapp classloader and not from the server, and that's why
you get null (instanceof checks fails).

You have these choices:
1. Write an embedded Jetty application, no war, everything in a single
classloader and you're good: Request will be accessible and you can
use the push API.
2. Use Jetty 10.0.0-alpha0 (pretty stable already) which uses Servlet
4.0 so you can use the standard API

There are other choices, but they are way more complicated.

--
Simone Bordet
----

Back to the top