Re: [jetty-users] Changes in Jetty socket close behavior from 9.2 -> 9.4

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 4:06 PM Tommy Becker <twbecker@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> We recently upgraded our application from Jetty 9.2 to 9.4. After doing so, we've noticed a lot of Early EOF stacktraces happening on POST requests. Of note, our application is fronted by a Varnish cache, which holds connections to the Jetty backend open indefinitely, even though we have the Jetty idle timeout configured to 50s. We're aware this is sub optimal, but it has been this way for some time, and worked fine under Jetty 9.2. To be clear, we do not have any evidence, or even believe that Jetty is doing anything wrong here per-se. But I understand that a fair bit of work happened in Jetty in this area (timeout/socket close) between 9.2 and 9.4 and I'm trying to get a high level description of what changed in an attempt to explain the behavior we're seeing now. Any info you could provide would be appreciated!

There have been many changes between Jetty 9.2 and 9.4 in many places.
As an example, we have improved and made more compliant/strict HTTP
parsing, and that may be the cause of your POSTs not going through.

The best thing you can do to figure out this issue is to grab a
network trace via Wireshark on the Jetty host, along with possibly a
stack trace (that you did not report and you don't even say if it's on
client or on server), and possibly server DEBUG logs.

The network trace will be important to know who's closing the
connection. Stack traces and logs to know why it was closed.

--
Simone Bordet
----

Back to the top