Re: [jetty-users] jetty dies periodically

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 12:17 PM, Simone Bordet <sbordet@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 5:48 PM, Michael McInness <m.mcinness1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Apologies for being vague. What I see is thus: I start Jetty with "service
> jetty start". I deploy a WAR (it's a simple CXF REST service), test it,
> debug code, redeploy. Through all of this I'm tailing the *stderrout.log and
> periodically see nothing logged when I redeploy the WAR. When this happens I
> do "ps -ef | grep jetty" and find no JVM running.

Nothing even if you run ps -ef | grep java ? (besides other processes
you may have?)

Correct, no Java process whatsoever.

If so, then looks like the JVM exited.
We don't call System.exit(), so either some other code does, or the JVM crashed.

> Would you classify that as
> a crash or an exit? I'll call it a crexit until I know more.

I guess you're a briton, then ;)

Only on my father's mother's side.

> I do "service jetty start" and it starts back up and the whole cycle repeats. What do I
> expect? I'll take that as a rhetorical question from someone who kindly
> helps others here but grows weary of noobs, as I probably would, too.

It was not rhetorical. Had the process been there, Jetty may just have
stopped working due to a bug you hit, or the heap too full, or the GC
gone crazy, etc.

Understood. Thanks for being a good sport.

> I'll enable DEBUG logs and will report back. Thanks for your help.

If it's a JVM crash won't help much.

I recommend that you start Jetty not as a service, but normally from a
terminal and try to reproduce.
If it crashes, you should see that in the terminal. If you don't see a
crash report, it's a normal exit, so next step is a breakpoint in
System.exit() to see who calls it.

Ok.

Look around for files named "hs_err_pid*.log". They are typically
created when the JVM crashes in the directory you launched the JVM
(not sure what that is when it's started as a service).

A couple hs_err_pid*.log files exist for prior processes/runs, but after setting/increasing Xmx explicitly, the JVM exits no longer produce these logs.

What exact JVM version ? Try to be on the latest one (8u102).

8u101

--
Simone Bordet
----