Re: [jetty-users] Jetty is failing to start: Unable to reach node goal: started

The entire Solr instance plus our own application and the DB server all all installed on this single VM system.  On a nightly basic, we install a fresh build of our application and run our regression tests (we start from a fresh VM).  Few times a month we run into this issue where Jetty would not start and thus our tests fail.

I'm wandering if this is a resource related issue and thus the random nature of the issue.  To debug this, what Jetty / Solr logs should I enable?  I don't want to go full stream and set log to "Debug" causing things to slow down drastically.

Yes, some input from Jetty experts would be good.

Steve

On Thu, Mar 24, 2016 at 11:39 PM, Shawn Heisey <eclipse@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/24/2016 1:59 PM, Steven White wrote:
> Hi Shawn,  Yes I do know you from the Solr mailing list. Your feedback
> has always been valuable and on the mark.  It is much appreciated.
>
> I can post this question on the Solr mailing list if you feel it is a
> Solr related topic.  I didn't because I'm seeing this as a Jetty startup
> issue even before we hit Solr bits but I could be wrong.
>
> Anyways, here is the full log off solr.log file:

<snip>

> And to answer your question, no nothing changed in between this failure
> and the start that I did after word that worked.

Nothing useful (to me) in the full stacktrace, unfortunately.  Just to
verify ... that was the entire solr.log file, nothing left out?

I don't know why it logs that exception on one run and then suddenly
works on the next one, unless something is altering the Solr start
scripts or the jetty binaries without your knowledge.  Maybe a flaky
filesystem or disk.

Is your Solr install on network storage, a filesystem backed by DRBD, or
anything else that's not quite ordinary and might have shaky
connectivity?  This is the only idea that I can think of.  Maybe the
jetty experts here will have another idea.

Thanks,
Shawn