Re: [jetty-users] Can the warning about system properties and JVM args be suppressed?

Sounds like you are candidate for using standard embedded jetty, skipping the distribution entirely.
Why bother with all the knobs and levers of the jetty distribution if you don't want people to even know they exist?

Use embedded jetty directly, with the jars you need, configuring solr using solr techniques, passing whatever configuration you want into jetty itself.

Joakim Erdfelt / joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Shawn Heisey <eclipse@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 3/23/2016 11:38 AM, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:
> This can be simplified a great deal.
>
> Lets say you have the following ...
>
> /opt/solr5 = ${solr.install.dir}
> /index/solr5/data = ""> > /index/solr5 = ${jetty.base}

On my server, Jetty is installed in /opt/solr5/server, not /index/solr5.

For my install, I changed the service name to "solr5", and changed the
var dir to /index/solr5.

The default install locations are /opt/<servicename> (Solr and Jetty)
and /var/<servicename> (var dir -- data).  Since the default service
name is solr, these defaults become /opt/solr and /var/solr.

The rest of the suggestions you made are something we can look at, but
probably will not be implemented, because they involve jetty-specific
config.  Currently these options are configurable in our "solr.in.sh"
script, which is sourced by the start script and gets installed in
/etc/default if the service installer script is used.

We would very much prefer that people never change anything in /opt/solr
(the default program directory), so using start.ini would be a
non-starter unless its location can be customized.  Also, we want to
move away from exposing any jetty-specific configurations like start.ini
-- the fact that we are using jetty is an internal implementation
detail.  We want people configuring *Solr*, not jetty.  Some of those
configuration items will be passed to jetty, of course.

https://wiki.apache.org/solr/WhyNoWar

You might wonder why the jetty stop port is part of the options when I
said that we don't want to expose jetty-specific configs.  The jetty
stop port is normally calculated by subtracting 1000 from the configured
Solr port, which defaults to 8983 and has been changed to 8982 in my config.

Thanks,
Shawn