Re: [jetty-users] idleTimeout

Poornima,

for better or for worse, the idle timeout is not actually applied to servlet processing time (by the spec).   If you did a write and that blocked for 40s, then Jetty would process the timeout.  But while the servlet is processing or doing small fast writes, then the idle timeout does not apply.

Jetty used to apply the timeout and try to interrupt the dispatched thread, but this caused many problems as many frameworks do not correctly handle interrupt and the servlet spec does not support that kind of action.

In short, the idle timeout only applies to doing actual IO operations.   So a read or a write will timeout if it takes more than 40s... including reading the original request.

regards