Re: [jetty-users] Server Hint vs Server Push

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 2:10 PM, Guillaume Drouet <guidrouet@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Can you explain why a hint should be preferred to a "primary" resource? I
> don't really undertsand.

I did not say that a hint is preferred to a primary resource.

What I mean by:

GET /primary.html HTTP/2
HTTP2-Push: hint

is the client telling the server: "GET me /primary.html. If it happens
that primary.html has associated resources that you can push, then
please don't push them to me, but send me back hints in the form of
Link headers".
The response would be:

HTTP/2 200
Link: </css/styles.css>; rel=prefetch
Link: </js/jquery.js>; rel=prefetch
Link: </css/background.png>; rel=prefetch

The client would receive the headers, parse them, and can prefetch the
resources (or look at its cache) before it actually receives the HTML
content that defines those resources.

If the server sends, for example, etag information in the Link header,
the client may do even more precise decisions.

--
Simone Bordet
----

Back to the top