Re: [jetty-users] How to disable chunked transfer encoding

Chunked transfer encoding is for data of undetermined size.  It is more correct, better performant, and much better supported than the fallback of data without a content-length.  Historically, this logic for chunked encoding has existed since Jetty 4.2.9 (I know, this surprised me too, but google backs me up on this)

If the servlet doesn't give a Content-Length and just starts to write content out via either the HtttpServletResponse.getOutputStream() or HttpServletResponse.getWriter() then the HTTP response is chunked.

As for disabling chunked encoding, to do that, you must provide the content length via HttpServletResponse.setContentLength(long), before you access the HttpServletResponse.getOutputStream() and HttpServletResponse.getWriter().

--
Joakim Erdfelt <joakim@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Developer advice, services and support