Re: [jetty-users] OutOfMemoryError with Jetty 8.1.1

On 06/14/2012 07:21 PM, Kevin Mooney wrote:

One way we launch our eclipse is in a headless mode (no UI) for command line execution support.  Shortly after process startup we experience OutOfMemoryError.  This is running on Windows 7.  The relevant stack trace for the current thread is shown below.  Any ideas why this is happening?

Got to agree with Jesse.  A stack trace of a thread at some point in time is not guaranteed to be indicative of anything that caused an OutOfMemoryException, it's just indicative of what that thread was doing at the point in time you captured the stack trace.  I'd also question your use of the phrase "current thread" - what makes you think the thread you've captured a stack trace for is relevant?  jstack can show you all the threads and their various stack traces at the point of capture.

Try using jmap shipped in your JDK to get a dump of JVM memory content, and analyze the dump with JConsole or jvisualvm to figure out what objects are allocated and in what quantity.  From that you may be able to determine what allocated the objects and thus lead to your memory leak.  It's not easy, though, don't expect a big flashing arrow pointing to a line of code.

Nick

Back to the top