Re: [jetty-users] Streaming data TO Jetty?

Hi,

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 7:20 AM, Otis Gospodnetic
<otis_gospodnetic@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to be able to push data (more or less a continuous stream) from
> clients (e.g. using Apache HttpClient library) TO Jetty.
> I currently have a system where clients make use of KeepAlives, which is
> nice, but they still issue an explicit HTTP POST request to Jetty every N
> seconds.
>
> Is there a way to avoid making explicit HTTP requests like that and would
> streaming the data (somehow) actually be more scalable than issuing explicit
> POSTs?

Depends on the loads we're talking about. I have seen Jetty serving
40k and more POSTS per second, so "more scalable" depends on your
mileage.

> Is this doable and how exactly does one stream data to Jetty?

A good viable alternative is to use WebSocket.
Jetty has a WebSocket client that you can use to stream data to the
server, and that is way more efficient than HTTP.
For a comparison, see
http://webtide.intalio.com/2011/09/cometd-2-4-0-websocket-benchmarks/.

A full fledged solution would be to use CometD (http://cometd.org),
that gives you authentication, network failure detection and automatic
reconnection, an extensible framework (with already available
extensions, for example for message acknowledgement, etc.), transport
fallback, etc., etc.

Simon
--
http://cometd.org