[jetty-users] Diagnosing cause of crash

Hi!

My company - http://www.ninjapost.com - provides forum software where
threads update in real time thanks to Jetty and Google Web Toolkit.

However, I've noticed Jetty dies when there are as few as 50-75
concurrent users.  Our server has 1024 MB RAM, serves 10,000+ pages
per day, and has not been re-started for at least one year.  Jetty
version is 6.1.3.  Jetty runs on port 8080 is triggered by Javascript
and PHP on the front end of the site.

The primary error message is: "exception while dispatching incoming
RPC call ... null pointer exception".  I'm not sure how to interpret
this but uploaded some screen caps and a log file:

- http://www.ninjapost.com/crash/jetty_normal.png -- Jetty working normally
- http://www.ninjapost.com/crash/jetty_crash.png --- Jetty after a crash
- http://www.ninjapost.com/crash/firebug1.png
- http://www.ninjapost.com/crash/firebug2.png
- http://www.ninjapost.com/crash/firebug3.png
- http://www.ninjapost.com/crash/excerpt_from_2012_02_28.request.log

Most traffic comes from the site http://forum.simplyshredded.com. You
can take a look at the long polling Jetty calls in Firebug when
viewing a thread.  I previously had real time updates to the main page
("all threads" page) to detect new threads but I turned this off to
reduce the number of connections and prevent Jetty from crashing all
the time.  My sense is that Jetty is most vulnerable when it needs to
push a new post with lots of content to multiple subscribers but have
not been able to test this theory.

Any ideas to fix this problem?  My initial fix is to write a script
that re-starts Jetty any time it crashes but I don't understand why it
crashes under a relatively light load.

Mike

--
Mike Wilt