Re: [jetty-users] Is it possible to tell if a continuation request had been cancelled?

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 18:19, Matthew Painter
<matthew.painter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ok thanks for the info :)
> I wonder if it would be possible to periodically return 100-continue to
> check if the connection is closed or not? This is not ideal, but this kind
> of polling may be the best I can achieve for now.

I do not think it will work. The body has already been sent, so
100-continue will just generate an error.

Since in many cases is impossible to detect network failures, it is
normally the case that applications use a timeout/sweep mechanism that
cleans "dead" requests.

What is it your worry ?

If you use Jetty's HttpClient, which is asynchronous, to perform the
request to the upstream server, you won't have threads allocated while
waiting for the response, so your resource utilization is minimal.
And once sent the upstream request, you may not be able to cancel it
*on the upstream server* (imagine a JDBC query or so), so the upstream
server will do the work anyway.

Simon
--
http://cometd.org