[jetty-users] Using Tomcat-6 JSP with Jetty-7

All,

Jetty currently uses the Jasper JSP fork from the the glassfish
project.  This was selected at the time because it was being more
actively contained.
Since then, the apache tomcat version has picked up their game and
that version is also being maintained.  I have no sense at the moment
to which of these is better, so I'm not proposing that we switch
horses or anything.

However, since the two versions are not bug for bug compatible, some
might like to switch to the tomcat version.   In Jetty-7 this can be
simply with a tomcat 6 distro and the following commands:

  cd $JETTY_HOME
  mv lib/jsp lib/glassfish-jsp
  mkdir lib/jsp
  cp $TOMCAT_HOME/lib/{ecj-3.3.1.jar,el-api.jar,jasper-el.jar,jasper.jar,jsp-api.jar}
lib/jsp/
  cp $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/tomcat-juli.jar lib/jsp

You may then want to adjust the configuration of the JSP servlet by
looking at $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/web.xml and updating
$JETTY_HOME/etc/webdefault.xml.  The default settings look OK.

For Jetty-8, you can probably do the same thing with a jetty-7 distro,
but I've not tested this recently.  We'll check these steps for
jetty-8 soon.

cheers

Back to the top