[jetty-users] JAAS questions

Hi,

I'm trying to integrate Jetty with an SSO solution, and I'm a bit puzzled with this new JAAS API... The most disturbing class is UserIdentity, it contains references to Subject and Principal, but I feel like these three classes represents the same thing. There most be some difference, but I have no idea what that is, and the JavaDoc well doesn't really help at all.

What I would like to do is have an application with a filter in front of it. If the filter thinks the user is not authenticated, it redirects to the SSO system, then when it's back it programmatically logs into the Jetty realm, so getremoteuser, getuserprincipal and isuserinrole all works from the application. What I've currently done is I've created an own JAASLoginService class, with an own IdentityService and UserIdentity (I need to override UserIdentity to have my own isUserInRole, and IdentityService, because that's the one that creates the UserIdentity), but I have no idea what to do next. I think JAASLoginService is a realm in the JAAS terminology, and when I overrode the login method, that way I don't need to implement an own loginmodule, but now I don't know how to programmatically log the user into this realm.
Any hints/tips about this?

//I'm using Jetty v7.2.0

Thanks for your help

Regards,