Re: [jetty-users] HTTPS with client certificate

Hi Retro,

An approach would be to assign a different ip to the internal name
"jetty" and do the redirect on that server. of course if clients access
via https you need a signed certificate for "jetty", which may imply
installing an internal ca to the clients so you can have a ca-signed
cert for "jetty".

Well, i think is found a solution. The server certificates can be issued
with alternatives host names. Maybe the solution is just to give jetty
name as alternative DNS name.

Thanks a lot for your point of view.

regards

Max

reto

2010/8/11 Max Larsson <max.larsson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:max.larsson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

    Hello,

    I've got a problem with embbeding jetty 7.1.6.

    The Jetty is setup to server SSL secured HTTPConnection,
    where the user has to authenticate himself, via his
    certificate from a PKI card.

    This works like a charm, my problem start with the fine
    tuning. Lets assume that the server where jetty runs
    has a DNS named like this:

      jetty.domain.tld

    If the user request this server via this URL

    https://jetty.domain.tld

    The browser fetches the server certificate, which
    is issued for jetty.domain.tld and everything works
    like it should.

    But because the server should be running internally
    many user will access the server with this URL:

    https://jetty

    And there comes now trouble some step, because the
    browser request jetty and it doesn't match with the
    server from the certificate, the browser issues a warning.

    To avoid this i thought about something to tell jetty
    to redirect request, which are directed the full DNS
    name, to jetty.domain.tld.

    I tried various solutions, which all failed, because
    the SSLEngine is always instantiated before i can hook
    in, and throws somewhere a SSLException with bad certificate.

    The following i tried:

      * Overwrite the customize method of the SSLSellectChannleConnector

      * Place a custom Handler between the Server class and the
    ContextHandlerCollection.

    And search to Google failed. And now i have no clue where to go further
    any help is appreciate.

    best regards

    Max Larsson

    Max Larsson
    facilityboss GmbH
    Rheinstrasse 75, 64295 Darmstadt / Germany
    Handelsregister Darmstadt, HRB 86193
    Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Inform. Larsson

    Fax:   +49 6151 869 278
    Mobil: +49 179 2184428
    Email: max.larsson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:max.larsson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Max Larsson
facilityboss GmbH
Rheinstrasse 75, 64295 Darmstadt / Germany
Handelsregister Darmstadt, HRB 86193
Geschäftsführer: Dipl.-Inform. Larsson

Fax:   +49 6151 869 278
Mobil: +49 179 2184428