[jetty-users] SetUID issues with Jetty 7.1.5

I am using
CentOS release 5.4 (Final)
2.6.18-164.2.1.el5xen

 java -version
java version "1.6.0_21"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 17.0-b16, mixed mode)

jetty-hightide-7.1.5.v20100705.tar.gz

Compiled the setuid libs from the source and lib/ext contents are

jetty-setuid-java-7.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar
libsetuid.so

file libsetuid.so
libsetuid.so: ELF 64-bit LSB shared object, AMD x86-64, version 1
(SYSV), not stripped

start.ini reads as

 --exec
 -Xmx512m
 -Xmn256m
 -Djava.library.path=lib/ext
OPTIONS=Server,plus,jmx,jta,jdbc,annotations,jsp,resources,websocket,ext
etc/jetty.xml
etc/jetty-setuid.xml

jetty-setuid.xml reads as

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE Configure PUBLIC "-//Mort Bay Consulting//DTD Configure//EN"
"http://jetty.mortbay.org/configure.dtd";>

<Configure id="Server" class="org.mortbay.setuid.SetUIDServer">
  <Set name="startServerAsPrivileged">true</Set>
  <Set name="umask">2</Set>
  <Set name="uid">jetty</Set>
  <Set name="gid">jetty</Set>
</Configure>

Have also tried modifying it to use numeric uid/gid.
I get the following error message on startup and the jetty server
keeps running as root instead of uid jetty

2010-07-14 09:24:02.700:WARN::EXCEPTION
java.lang.ClassCastException: class org.mortbay.setuid.SetUIDServer
        at org.eclipse.jetty.xml.XmlConfiguration.configure(XmlConfiguration.java:218)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.xml.XmlConfiguration$1.run(XmlConfiguration.java:1007)
        at org.eclipse.jetty.xml.XmlConfiguration.main(XmlConfiguration.java:983)

>From google search I see this error but related to jetty 6.x version.

So does setuid work fine for other folks on Jetty version 7.x

TIA
-Tarun

Back to the top