Re: [jetty-users] Error handling of ServletException

Once you flush the writer the response is committed to the client.
A committed response also results in the HTTP response header being sent.
A response is of the following format ...
HTTP Status Code + Status Message + HTTP Version
HTTP Response Headers
HTTP Response Data
In your flush example, you are forcing the HTTP Status Code line and the HTTP response headers to be sent just so that some of your data can be flushed.

If you throw an exception after it is committed it is too late to send an error response header. (Such as a 3xx, 4xx or 5xx codes)

- Joakim