[jetty-users] Making authentication "sticky" (getRemoteUser() from "/public" after first visiting "/private")

Hi,

What is the required setup to make authentication sticky?

The scenario is this:
- Any java servlet application
- /private is protected by a role; /public is not

Actual
- Visiting "/public", getRemoteUser() returns null
- Visiting "/private", getRemoteUser() returns the username
- Visiting "/public" again, getRemoteUser() returns null

Desired
- Visiting "/public", getRemoteUser() returns null
- Visiting "/private", getRemoteUser() returns the username
- Visiting "/public" again, getRemoteUser() returns the username

I imagine that this is a fairly common use case, so I'm thinking (hoping?) that there is some sort of support that I need to enable.

1) Is there an easy way out?
2) Is there a more complicated way out?

--
Eirik