Re: [jetty-dev] Clarification on ALPN support with JDK 8u261

Hi,

On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 10:34 PM Neha Munjal <neha.munjal3@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Trying to understand the ALPN related artifacts needed with JDK 8u261.
> Have been going through this page: https://www.eclipse.org/jetty/documentation/current/alpn-chapter.html#alpn-openjdk8
>
> And would like to confirm, that with JDK 8u261:
>
> 1. Seems like alpn-boot.jar is not required at all: neither as Xbootclasspath parameter nor in classpath.

Correct.

> 2. Seems like we only need jetty-alpn-openjdk8-client.jar in the classpath.

Correct, but with version at least 9.4.28 or later.

> 3. If point 2 above is correct, how does alpn-api.jar provided dependency come?

alpn-api is not needed anymore.

> The necessary support, previously, came from alpn-boot.jar. How does this support come now with alpn-boot not in picture? For example, one of the support we use in our code with ALPN is setting the DEBUG flag to true as follows:
> org.eclipse.jetty.alpn.ALPN.debug = true

Because with 8u252 or later the Jetty ALPN boot jar and API are not
used, there will be no point in setting
`org.eclipse.jetty.alpn.ALPN.debug = true`: you don't have the class
in the classpath, and even if you put it back it will have no effects
because it's not used anyway.

--
Simone Bordet
----